“Things have a way…” Part one

written by Corrie “Cormak” McDermott

Disclaimer: Gargoyles and all it’s characters belong to Disney and BVTV. Any characters not from the show are of my creation. This story was written for fan enjoyment and is not meant to fringe upon any rights.

Setting: This story takes place about a week after the “Journey” I’ve chosen to ignore the rest of the Goliath Chronicles.

With a sigh she lifted the heavy bag of groceries and placed them into the trunk of her car.  She could hear them laughing and after closing the trunk, turned to face them. She had tried hard to ignore them when she first left the store but their laughing had gotten her curiosity. With a pained expression, she watched them, his arm around her waist. She was curled up against him. They were skipping along and laughing about something. It didn’t matter what it was because they were happy and they were normal. With a deep sigh she tore her eyes away from them and looked up and to the south. Silhouetted against the darkening sky it was nearly the tallest building in the city.  With another sigh she unlocked her car door and got in. She could see them in the rear view mirror. It didn’t matter where she looked, because they were there. She lowered her head and forced the key into the ignition.  Refusing to look back she pressed her foot to the pedal and squealed out of the parking space.  

It didn’t matter where she went, they were there. Holding hands, giving meaningful glances. They were in the car next to her while she was stopped at a red light. They were getting on a bus, and they were in the elevator at her apartment building. Entering her apartment she dropped the grocery bags on her kitchen table. She hung her red jacket on the coat rack by the door and put her gun and it’s holster in a drawer. She heard meowing and watched as her cat curled around her leg. She picked him up and cradled him in her arms. “Oh Cagney, what am I going to do?”  She walked to the large bay windows that looked to the south and gazed out into the night, stroking the gray cat’s soft fur, she sighed.

*    *    *

It had been over an hour that he had stood in one spot looking out over the city. Over an hour that he had awakened and again she had not been there. His long brown hair floated around his shoulders. For what felt like the hundredth time he wondered if she were hurt. He shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. Bluestone would have let him know. He wanted to believe that she was on duty but he knew better. It was Wednesday and it was her night off. So where was she? He sighed. He wanted to go to her, but the city was a mess. A new menace had bared its fangs. A group of  humans who prided themselves on protecting the innocent of the city from a group of beings they clearly didn’t understand, his kind.  She had nearly gotten hurt because he had gone to see her and he had nearly lost his life if she hadn’t been there.  Images of how they met, the journey to Avalon and around the world, and the 3 nights surrounding the hunter’s Moon flashed through his mind. How many times had she risked her life to keep him and his clan alive? He smiled thinking of the last night of the Hunter’s moon.  Just before sunrise she had shocked him with her confession, more meaningful then words could have been. A simple gesture, not of his custom, but of hers although he knew very well what it meant. His smile faded when he heard laughing and looked down into the courtyard to see Xanatos and his wife Fox. They were laughing about something and they were holding each other very close. Xanatos planted a kiss on his wife’s lips. He turned feeling many emotions at once. Could he and Elisa ever share a similar joy? Another part of him asked if he should let her go. What if she wanted to be with her own kind? What if her simple gesture was meant in friendship and not love? He shook his head, his long brown locks cascading down his chest. After their night with the Quarry Men it was obvious she felt something for him. But he still found himself doubting. He had seen her kiss the hunter, somewhere inside of her she wished to be with her own kind, even if she denied it herself. He suddenly had to see her, make sure that she was all right. He spread his wings which were previously caped around his shoulders.

“And where are ye off to lad?”

He turned, startled by the sudden voice. “Hudson, I didn’t hear you come up behind me.”

“Nay, you were so deep in thought, you dinne hear me come up the stairs.” There was a silence between them and then older gargoyle spoke. “Going to see Elisa?” Goliath nodded.  “I dinne know if that’s such a good idea, especially afta what happened last time.”

Instead of growing angry as he had last time this conversation had come up, he folded his wings back over his shoulders. “Yes, last time I saw her it was unfortunate what happened.”

“very” the old gargoyle agreed, nodding his head. A silence enveloped them both and again the older gargoyles spoke first. “Ye miss her.” He said quietly.

“I have not seen her since the night we were attacked.”

“We all miss her lad, and we all hope that she is all right.” Hudson said putting a reassuring talon on Goliath’s shoulder.

“It’s not like her to not check in.”

“There is a lot goin’ on in the city right now.  With the Quarry Men startin riots and tryin to collect new members, Elisa has her hands full.”

“Trouble has never stopped her before.”

“Trouble hasn’t been this bad before. Things have gotten well outta hand.”

“They have and I worry about her Hudson.”

“We all do lad.”

“If the Quarry Men link her to us, she could be in grave danger.”

“Bluestone is always with her. He’ll protect her when we can’t.”

Goliath nodded. “Yes, Bluestone is a good man and a worthy partner for Elisa. I must thank him sometime for protecting her.”

“I dinne think it’s a good idea to go out tonight.” Hudson said after hearing a wailing siren on the streets below.

“Will it ever be all right to go out there Hudson? I’ve ordered that we all stay in the castle and it’s been well over a week now.  We can’t hide atop this castle forever. We can’t protect Manhattan from here.”

“We can’t protect Manhattan if we’ve been dealt a serious blow from our enemies. Give this all time lad. If I learned anythin in my life, it’s that things have a way of workin themselves out, no matter how grim the situation.” Goliath nodded at the wise words.

*   *   *

“Earth to Elisa. Come in Elisa.”

“Sorry Matt, I…”

“You looked like you were in another world, partner.” Matt Bluestone sat himself down in the chair in front of Elisa’s desk. “What are you doing in so early? Your shift doesn’t start until another hour or so.”

“I had some paper work to catch up on.” She rubbed at her temples.

“Headache?”

“A small one. Nothing I can’t handle.”

“Of course not. Elisa Maza can handle anything.”   She just stared at him. “Did I say something wrong?”

“I just want it to stop, Matt. “

“Elisa, I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Not you Matt. Them.”

Matt glanced around. “Who?” he asked confused.

“They’re everywhere I go.  Asking me question after question. I think everyone knows.”

“You lost me, Elisa.”

“They aren’t bothering you?”

“Who?”

“The reporters. They follow me like scavengers, just hoping I’ll give in and toss them some juicy meat.”

“You’re being followed by reporters?”

She sighed heavily. “Yeah.”  And they’re not the only ones.. She could hear the laughter of officers’ Gibb and Conner as they clocked out together. It really didn’t matter where she went. A happy couple was bound to be around her, making her feel miserable as hell.

“Maybe I should go with you everywhere that you go, or maybe have some of the guys go with you incase they get feisty.”

“How will that look Matt? A detective who can’t take care of herself? Needs body guards everywhere she goes?” She shook her head for emphasis , her dark mane flowing around her. “ That will look even worse. It will look like the city is hiding something. That I’m hiding something. I don’t know how they are getting the information they are. I mean they know all about my vacation time while I was on the “boat”. They know that I’ve got more busts and arrests and closed cases then any other detective in the precinct, maybe even in the city. They’re claiming that I know about the gargoyles. How did they link me to them?”

“Right now they might just be making stabs in the dark, seeing what you’ll react to and how you react. They might not know anything.”

“I hope that’s the case.”

He put a hand on her shoulder. “Have some faith. Things will work out.”

She reached over and gave him a small hug. “Thanks Matt. I needed some sense knocked into me.”

“Anytime, partner. That’s what I’m here for.”

*    *   *

“All units, all units, reported robbery at 45th and Lexington. Repeat, reported robbery at 45th and Lexington. All units in the area, please respond!”

Matt glanced over at Elisa who had thrown the book she was glancing at in the back seat of her car. “Looks like our night has started with some excitement.” He noted.

“Yeah.” She said pulling her seat belt over her and she started up her car. She and Matt had been clocked in for only 15 minutes and they were already being called to a crime scene. ‘This city doesn’t sleep, remember? Hold on.” Matt gripped the rubber door handle and made sure his seat belt was secure as Elisa floored her Fairlane. 

“Anything important that you know about at 45th and Lexington?” Matt asked her.

“ That’s the area with all the museums, galleries and expensive shops Matt. That section of town is always reporting break-ins.  C’mon you know that.”

“Yeah, what was I thinking?” He mumbled.

“Hey you ok?” She asked with a glance of concern.

“I had a long day.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Now?”

“Now’s as good a time as any. Hey you helped me feel better, let me return the favor.”

“All right. It’s this woman I’ve been seeing.”

“You’ve been seeing someone and you didn’t tell me?” She tried to keep the hurt out of her voice.

“Well we don’t tell each other EVERYTHING. But I guess I could have told you. She’s an.. .old friend. I knew her when I was with the FBI. She was still there when I left.”

“So what is she doing in NY? I thought you were stationed with the FBI in New Jersey?”

“I was and so was she.”

“She’s not with the FBI anymore?”

“No, she decided that it wasn’t for her. She’s actually in NY visiting some family. She’s been a little secretive about them. She has me on edge a bit.”

“What do you mean secretive?” She asked turning the car sharply to go around a corner.

Matt gripped the rubber handle tighter. “I don’t know. Maybe I’m just over reacting because I haven’t seen her in so long.”

“Sounds like you cared about her.” She said affording a glance at him. He was looking out the window.

“I did, I still do.” 

Elisa wanted to ask him what she was like, how they met, but they were at the crime scene now. Everything looked normal as she pulled up. There was an ambulance and 2 squad cars along with a fire truck. Normal procedure. At least one of each type of emergency vehicle always arrived at any scene.  She and Matt stepped out of the vehicle.

“This doesn’t look like a museum or a gallery.” Matt noted. Elisa glanced around.

“It sure doesn’t. It looks like..” Before she could say another word, a flare of some sort shot down from above and hit the squad car next to them. The impact knocked Elisa off her feet and the car into the air. She watched in horror as the car fell towards her. There was no time to react except to stare in horror.

“ELISA!!” Matt cried out.  He covered his face with his hands. He just couldn’t look.

Elisa felt her life flash before her. It was almost as if the car was coming down at her in slow motion. She knew this was one time she wasn’t going to walk away. 

Suddenly someone gripped her tightly and she felt herself roll. She heard the car hit the pavement mere feet from where she now was. She could hear breathing and looked up.  Her eyes widened and then she hugged him tightly, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Goliath!” She cried.

He hugged her close to him. “Are you all right?”

She pulled away and looked up at him with a smile. “Thanks to you, but how did you..?”

He stood and pulled her to her feet. “I’ll explain later. I’ll be up there.” He said pointing to a nearby rooftop. “Should you need me. I should go.” He said pointing towards the sound of voices.  And I need to come up with some sort of a story of how I survived. She thought as she watched him make his way up the building.

“Elisa! Thank god you’re all right!” Matt hugged her tightly.

“I’m fine.”

“Detective, you’re all right!” came a chorus from the police officers.

“I’m fine guys, but thanks for the concern.”

“All we saw was the car go up in the air and we knew that you and Detective Bluestone were near where the blast hit. It was a lucky thing we had left the car earlier and had gone to talk to the Fire Fighters. We saw Bluestone run away as the car fell but we didn’t see you.”

“The blast knocked me clear off my feet. I saw the car coming at me and then rolled out of the way.” Well that isn’t too much of a lie…  “What happened? One minute I was standing next to Detective Bluestone checking out the scene and the next a blast hit one of the squad cars and we were scrambling for our lives.”

“We don’t know what happened. We at the scene not long before you two came and nothing was going on. There was no robbery. No one was near or in the building. No damage done to any windows, not even any security alarms going off. “

“Well that’s odd.” Matt said, looking at Elisa.

“Indeed. And then suddenly some sort of weapon shot down at us and then this chaos. Officer, do me a favor and call in some back up. Get the forensics and any other teams down here pronto. Something strange is going on here. I want some clues found.”

“Right away Detective.” The officers cleared away leaving only Matt and Elisa.

“This is strange. No robbery but something blows up a nearby car and you almost lost your life. I can’t believe you rolled out of the way that fast. I closed my eyes after I saw that car coming down. I couldn’t even look.” He told her putting a hand on her shoulder

“Yeah well I would be dead right now if it hadn’t been for Goliath.”

“Goliath’s here?” Matt looked up and around them.

“He’s waiting on a nearby building.” She said with a smile.

“Well it’s a good thing he was out on patrol and he happened to spot this whole thing.”

“That’s another strange thing. Goliath ordered that the clan stay at the castle after what happened with him and I and the Quarry Men. There has been no patrol in over a week, unless he changed his mind.”

“Well if he changed his mind, it’s a good thing that he did. Or you and I wouldn’t be standing here talking right now.”

“Yeah. Listen. I’m going to escape for a little while. If anyone asks where I went, just tell them that I… I needed to get some air.” She brushed the dirt from her red jacket and started to walk away.

“Sure. Just be careful. We still don’t know what caused this.” She nodded and continued to walk away.

*    *     *

“Goliath, you here?” She asked as she stepped through the door that opened to the top of the building.

“I’m here.” He said softly. He opened his arms to her and gently pulled her to him, caping his wings around them both.

‘You saved my life. Thank you.” She said, resting her face against his chest.

“You’re welcome.” He fought the urge to touch her hair, but gave in and let the silky black strands slide through his talons.

“I don’t know how you got there, but one thing is sure. I’d be dead if you hadn’t come along.”

“Then we have Xanatos and a tipster to thank for you life.”

“What?” she asked pulling back from him. “What do you mean?”

“I was talking to Hudson when Xanatos and Owen came rushing up the stairs. They said that you were in great danger.”

“How did Xanatos know where I was?”

“Apparently someone called him and told him that they heard about a raid on a small group of policemen who were investigating a robbery. He was told that you were among those at the scene. I immediately came here and saw it was true that you were in trouble.”

“What time did Xanatos get the call?”

“I do not know. I only know that he and Owen came up the stairs out of breath. They told me quickly and I left as fast as my wings would carry me. I was afraid that I would not be in time and was relieved that I had just enough time to save you. I…we almost lost you.”

“yeah. I’ve been in dangerous situations before, but never has my life flashed in front of me as it did tonight. I really thought that I was going to die.  I’m grateful that someone called and let Xanatos know but at the same time that really bothers me.”

“Yes.” He said in a low voice.

“I mean how did someone know that I was at the crime scene and why did they call Xanatos and not call the precinct?”

“They are very good questions, Elisa. But I do not know the answers to them. It might be better to ask Xanatos.”

“oh don’t worry I will.”

“You think Xanatos had something to do with this?” he asked.

“I didn’t say that.”

“The tone of your voice said it quite clearly.” He said with a raise of one of his brow ridges.

“I just wouldn’t put it past him , ok. I’m not saying that he did it, but.”

“I know. You must look at all sides of this and you can’t take any chances. I will not either.”

“it’s almost like…”

“What?”

‘I don’t know. I don’t have a good feeling about all of this. I feel like someone out there knows too much.”

“Agreed.”

“I have to get back to the scene. I said I was just taking a walk to get some air. I don’t want them to think that I’ve been kidnapped or something.”

“Of course.”  He stepped back from her and opened his wings.

“I’ve got some investigating to do with this and then I’ll stop by the castle later tonight.”

He nodded and she watched him leap off the edge of the roof and glide towards the Eyrie Building.

*    *     *

“So let me get this straight, someone called you and they told you about the robbery and you didn’t stop to question why they called you?”

“I didn’t say that Detective. Call it a gut instinct but I didn’t think this was one of the typical prank calls. I get hundreds of prank calls and threats a day. Anything from threatening to bomb this building to people trying to connect me with the gargoyles and what happened at Saint Dominique’s nearly a month ago.” David Xanatos told her.

“Why didn’t you ever tell the police about all these calls?”

“I’m not going to call the cops everytime some person makes a threat at me. I’m a powerful and wealthy man and I have many enemies. Besides I don’t think I’m a personal favorite of the NYPD. I handle my own affairs, and this time I try to do it within the law.”

“How generous of you.”

“I want to know why they called you.” Came Goliath’s deep voice. Elisa and Xanatos turned to look at him. He stepped forward, his wings caped around him, his arms over his chest. He had been quiet for sometime and they had forgotten about him.

“Probably because people suspect that Detective Maza and I have a past. Although we have a past as enemies not friends.”

“What are you thinking Goliath?” Elisa asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe I am over reacting.” He said as he raised his talon to his chin.

She reached up and touched his arm. “Tell me, please.”

“I think I know what he’s thinking.” Xanatos said as he watched the two look at each other.

“Great now he’s got ESP.” Elisa said smartly.

“I could be wrong but you think that someone knows about Detective Maza’s connection to your clan.”

Goliath sighed and looked down at Elisa. “That is exactly what I was thinking.”

“Oh come on Goliath. That’s impossible. No one would know about that. ”

“But wouldn’t they? We’ve tried to keep away from the public. And we’ve tried to keep you away from us when we are in public, so that no one would suspect you knew about us or were connected to us. But with more and more gargoyle sightings and just what happened only a week ago. Many people saw you with me the night the Quarry Men attacked us. They know where you live. They know that you are connected to us. There were also many eye-witnesses the night Xanatos brought us back to our home. What if someone is using you to get to us?!” he was gripping her shoulders tightly with his talons.

She backed up trying to get out of his grip. “Goliath don’t be ridicules.”

“I am NOT being ridicules.” He said growing angry. “Not when it comes to your life. Look what happened tonight!”  The raising of his voice brought Hudson into the room. “You nearly died! Do you have any idea what that would have done to this clan if we lost you? What it would have done to me?” His eyes were blazing.

“I’m sorry.” She replied. Her voice was small compared to his.

The glow faded from his eyes. “I’m sorry as well. I didn’t mean to raise my voice at you. I’m worried about you Elisa.”

‘I know. “ She said lowering her head.

“Well if you don’t need to question me any further. I think I’d like to catch up some sleep tonight. I’ll be available tomorrow should you need me.” Xanatos told them and he hastily left the room.

“It’s a relief to know that ye’ re all right lass.” Hudson, said stepping forward. Elisa nodded. “Perhaps I shoulda let you go to see her after all. Maybe none a this woulda happened.”

Elisa raised her head and looked at Goliath curiously.

“Perhaps.’ Goliath let out slowly. “ I thought Wednesday nights were your night off?”

“They were, but the department isn’t too thrilled about all the time I took out of work when I was on the World tour and they want me to make some of it up. Matt decided to work extra as well. He didn’t want me to work without a partner.”

“Avalon has caused you much trouble.” Goliath said stepping away from her and Hudson.

“Actually, Avalon was one of the best things to ever happen to me. It opened my eyes. The extra work doesn’t bother me.”

“Well I’m going to watch Friends. I’ll see ye two later.” Hudson excused himself.

“If only I had gone earlier.” He said lowering his head and crossing his arms over his chest.

“ Don’t start blaming yourself for me going out and doing my job. You would have found an empty apartment and you would have only been worried.

“I’m worried just the same. I should have gone to see you when I first awakened.”

She cleared her throat and stepped beside him. He was by the window now resting his talons on the cold stone windowsill as he looked out into the night. “Why didn’t you come?”

“Were you waiting for me?” he asked looking at her with hope in his eyes.

“No. I had gone grocery shopping and then went to work early. I was home for maybe twenty minutes. We probably would have missed each other.”

“Hudson talked me out of it. He said that the city was too dangerous. Apparently he agreed with my original decision  that we should all remain at the castle until things cooled down even though I myself did not agree with it. We’d had not heard from you in a week. I was worried beyond belief. Why didn’t you contact us?” She was glancing out the window when she felt his eyes on her.

“I’ve been busy.” She said refusing to make eye contact.

“Hmm. Yes.” He said. But he didn’t sound convinced.  “Were you afraid?”

“Of what?” she asked now looking at him.

“That if you came to see us that something would happen?”

“Like what?”

“The Quarry Men for one.”

“Oh Goliath. I’m not going to stop coming here because a bunch of men dressed in black took some shots at us with their hammers. I’ve faced a lot more dangerous things then Jon Castaway and his stupid Quarry Men and so have you. If I could get through Demona, Xanatos, Thailog and Sevarius.  I can get through this. We all can.”

“Is it me..?”

“Goliath?”

He visibly winced. “Is that why you’ve stayed away? Are you angry with me?”

“No Goliath. I’m not angry with you. What gave you that idea?” She took one of his talons into her hands.

“You’ve never stayed away this long before. A week is an eternity when you haven’t heard from someone you care about.” 

“Oh Goliath.” She sighed.

“The whole… clan has been worried.” He nervously injected.

“I never meant to worry anyone, least of all you” She had caught the hesitation in his voice.

“Promise me you will contact us at least every other night.”

She pulled his other talon to her hands and clasped them both tightly. “I promise.”